guide to Sof' Sike...
I figured I would do the same for the Hound - I think it's an album even more deserving of an entry point than Sof' Sike was.
My desire was to fuse orchestral textures with rock instrumentation, to conflate the melodic sensibility of classical minimalists like Michael Nyman with my take on Pop music. Louis Percival and I spent a lot of time talking about soul music - the Delfonics and Barry White in particular. A lot of musically unfamiliar people will interpret this mixture as ghoulish or 'halloweeny' in it's ultimate delivery. If you listen closely you will also hear sweetness. With more listens the Pop elements will reveal themselves to you, they are somewhat shy.
Have a listen to the kinds of music running through our heads as we made A Hound at the Hem... It may unlock something if you have already heard the album proper.
As per new standards these tracks were bounced from the personal crates through the space echo onto tape.
DOWNLOAD THE MIX HERE.
1. Harumi - 'Talk About It'
2. Nilsson - 'Everything's Got 'Em'
3. Led Zeppelin - 'In The Light'
4. Michael Nyman - 'A Watery Death'
5. Jean-Claude Vannier - 'L'enfant, La Mouche...'
6. Barry White - 'Gonna Love You Just a Little More'
7. Bowie - 'Right'
8. Gainsbourg - 'L'Hotel Particulier'
9. The Delfonics - 'Round & Round'
10. The Left Banke - 'Nice to See You'
11. William Sheller - 'Hare Krishna'
12. The Walker Brothers - 'Orpheus'
13. Gainsbourg - 'Cargo Culte'
North America: Sam Kogon / email@example.com
All other inquiries: Dara Kartz / firstname.lastname@example.org