SLIM TWIG MAKES MUSIC IN TORONTO, HE SHOOTS THE SHIT HERE.





Thursday, December 24, 2009

IN DEFENSE OF TREND.




In anticipation of the sort of list making that will soon be appearing on this ol' rag I present a teaser...

Trends - I'm not at all for 'em, and frankly am sick of a few current ones (take a guess). BUT... in their defense, a strange strain of music emerged in the aughts that has me re-considering the categorical evil of such phenomenon. I call it MINIMAL FUTURIST SPACE-AGE TRUNK RATTLE. Entirely a rap phenomenon, and an (exhilaratingly) commercial one I found this music to be some of the most forward looking, invigorating snufff around.

Let's reminisce...









It seems almost silly and redundant to talk about these songs (and there are more, this is a small sampling)... Particularly 'Drop it Like it's Hot' - what else is there to say about this song??? But what I'm getting at is the personal exhilaration I felt when I first heard these songs... an excited teenager, tired of rock music and thrilled at the possibility of making music that sounded alien and futuristic. What an exciting sensation.

Happy holidays everyone!

No comments:

BOOKING

North America: Sam Kogon / sam@panacherock.com
All other inquiries: Dara Kartz / darakartz@gmail.com